Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Livin' Large at 12,000 feet.






Today marks my official start to the ski season. Being a Tuesday it was a bit difficult to find company to hit the slopes but I couldn't wait any longer I had to get out and try out the skis. Headed to A-Basin this morning. Amazing drive, you know besides the nauseating winding of mountain driving in general. Loveland pass is absolutely beautiful. The sun was shining warm today and made everything even brigher. So I get to the mountain, gear up and start to head up to the first lift. As if walking in ski boots isn't difficult enough on level ground the only route to the first lift and lodge is a steep packed snow hill of which I chose to charge. As I was walking carefully and trying to dig the toe of my boot in with each step I 'mis-stepped' fell face first into the hill, gashing my hand with my ski bindings. I laid there for a minute laughing at myself before a couple snowboarders walking behind me helped me back to my feet and we all shared a laugh. So now I'm REALLY ready, dealing with a little bloody glove but no big deal. As soon as I got on the first lift all my troubles were gone. There weren't a lot of runs open but what was open was nice and packed powder just added to my happiness!! I wasn't sure how the day would start off. It had been a few years since I last visited the slopes, but like they say its like riding a bike and I fell back into it in no time, plus the Volkl skis rode amazingly well. It's kinda nice riding as a single on the lifts, you end up meeting some interesting people, including the snowboard dead heads who offer to share their pot with you haha. I only put in a short day, about 3 1/2 hours, but really that seemed enough when there aren't that many runs open. I did love A-Basin though, gorgeous area. I'm excited to go back when the Montezuma bowl is open and all the cliffs are snow covered. I got a kick out of all the ski and boarders in the backcountry hitch-hiking rides back up the mountain. Was tempted to pick a few up but was too excited to get up the mountain myself so I let the pickup following me take care of them. I'm so excited to be so close to the mountains!!! Here's hoping for more fresh powder in the days to come and many more ski adventures to write about!

3 comments:

  1. you're officially broken in! :) cheers friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO NOT PICK UP HITCHHIKERS! THIS IS FROM YOUR MOTHER!!!!! :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! Oh mom, I'm still responsible even though I'm ten hours away!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a 27 year old Kansas Native who has recently relocated to the Rocky Mountains. I work as a Registered Nurse in an Neuro/Ortho/Spine unit at the hospital with long term hopes of joining moutain rescue or life flight and I'm so excited to experience all that this amazing place has to offer me.

First Timer

I've never been much of a blogger but with me being a new resident of the gorgeous state of Colorado now I thought this could be a neat way to keep my family and friends up to speed on the excitement that is the Rocky Mountains. I'm so happy to be living here and expect many exciting adventures to share.

Followers