Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Wessels Unite!!





Since my last blog there have been many more visitors up this way. My old college friend Jeremy and his wife Melanie, who it just so happens used to be one of my college softball teammates came to ski for a few days. We had the most amazing snow that weekend. About 5-6" each night.
We journied out to Vail for our second ski day of the weekend and Jack joined us (I won't go into detail about Jack's evening prior, needless to say I thought he would be feeling a lot worse this morning than he was). I hadn't yet been to Vail this season and was very excited. We parted ways with Mel and Jeremy after a few morning runs together and Jack and I journied to the bowls.
Jack very swiftly slid down the big slope (note: he was on the groomed portion). He attempted to motion me down to where he was but I continued on the catwalk a bit further before dropping into some precious knee deep powder, maybe the most fresh powder I've ever skiied...or attempted to ski. I made approximately three flawless turns before crashing abruptly (with grace I must add). As a result of this graceful fall I ended up with a hood full of snow and my face dripping with moisture from the amount of snow covering my face. I finally made it to the bottom to meet Jack who then explained to me that he was motioning me to follow him where he went as the run was somewhat groomed on that side. Silly me!
Jack and I spent most of the afternoon trying to find our ways out of the bowls :) And I mean MOST of the afternoon. Jack has a poor sense of direction :) We met back up with Jeremy and Mel for a small Apres Ski and then headed back to the condo. We went out on the town for some dinner and a few beverages at one of our favorite joints Uller! Saturday Mel, Jeremy and I went back to ski Breckenridge with a few of their friends and Jack headed back to Steamboat. It was a short day to say the least as my thighs were very angry at me from the previous days bowl action and massive powder, not to mention the ungodly amount of catwalks that exist at Vail. The weekend as a whole was a great success and Mel and Jeremy flew back to KC on Sunday.
I went back to work for a few days and then this past Thursday the Wessel parentals made their way into town. I was so excited to have them back in town. My dad hasn't been on the slopes for almost 3 years. The last ski outing was just before he had hip replacement surgery.
We spent Thursday night at my uncles in Castle Rock. Friday afternoon we drove to Breckenridge. We spent the later part of the afternoon and better part of the evening sitting at the condo chatting and enjoying some good ole Bulleit (whiskey), which has pretty much become a tradition at all Wessel gatherings. With the lack of ice we became quite resourceful and with the fresh snow on the drifts we created our very own whiskey snow cones.
Saturday morning we hit the sloes bright and early, after a stop at daylight donuts of course for a good ole sugar boost. We snapped our boots into our bindings and hopped on the lift. I was a wee bit nervous for my dad and his new hip. He's not what you would call the 'take it easy' kind of guy. The first run was relaxing, allowing everyone to get their ski legs on, but in no time at all we were barreling down the mountain at break neck speed :) We took a break for lunch around one and a beer break of course, then got back on the hill for a few more runs. Dad's hip was starting to get pretty tired so we called it a day soon after and we decided to Apres Ski at the Breckenridge Brewery were we also had to watch the heartbreaking loss for the Jayhawks! :(
We dined out for dinner at a little mexican joint with not so little Margaritas! Woo hoo!! Mom and I also got to have a little girls time to shop around town. I miss my parents so much but I love very much being in Colorado, and I so enjoy being able to share the adventures of my new life with them. I also think my dad was pretty impressed with my much improved and 'gutsy' ski skills. The only thing missing from this perfect weekend was my brother who couldn't make the trip. He is in full swing with his kids at school and is to start golf practice very soon. He's the big head coach this year.
Mom and Dad visited my downtown dwelling on Monday morning where we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at one of my favorite local joints Snooze. They hit the road back to Kansas soon after. A tearful goodbye of course. My mom is quite a crier and I can't see her cry without crying myself.
I spent today in Boulder with Ricki for a little shopping. We also had a chance to meet up with Miss Sara Stotts who chapperoned us down Pearl street. We stepped inside this darling candy store that would give Willy Wonka a run for his money and just giggled at all the silly candies that reminded us of our childhood. I made a brilliant purchase of a wax mustache (much like the halloween wax lips) Best $1.49 I've ever spent, see attached picture.
No fun ski weekend this week, as it's my turn to work the weekend, boo! I do however plan to be back on the slopes in Vail next weekend. For now I can live with this fifty-five degree weather we're having here in Denver.
My hugs and kisses go out to my friends and family that follow this blog, I miss you all very much. Rock Chalk Jayhawks, Beat KSU!!
*I promise pictures will follow. The computer is just really not cooperating this evening but please check back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a 27 year old Kansas Native who has recently relocated to the Rocky Mountains. I work as a Registered Nurse in an Neuro/Ortho/Spine unit at the hospital with long term hopes of joining moutain rescue or life flight and I'm so excited to experience all that this amazing place has to offer me.

First Timer

I've never been much of a blogger but with me being a new resident of the gorgeous state of Colorado now I thought this could be a neat way to keep my family and friends up to speed on the excitement that is the Rocky Mountains. I'm so happy to be living here and expect many exciting adventures to share.

Followers